Subject: 3.0_BETA on z50, mostly works
To: None <port-hpcmips@NetBSD.org>
From: Alexander Bochmann <ab@lists.gxis.de>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 07/28/2005 12:17:08
Hi,

last night I finally managed to cross-build a
working version of NetBSD 3 for the z50 (I assume
that's what I get when I check out -rnetbsd-3?)...
Just a short report, had to go to work this morning
before I could do any further testing...

With mipsX_subr.S reverted to 1.5, the GENERIC
kernel boots fine, just some things don't work in
my setup - but that may be due to the way I did
it (which used to work with previous installations,
but then it's been a year or so since I did that
the last time, and maybe I forgot something):

I didn't use the installer, but booted from my
old, working, netboot setup, and just untar'ed
the distribution sets to my boot drive.
Created the devices (with the old MAKEDEV
script, because the new one uses mknod options
unknown to my 1.6something netboot system),
set up fstab and rc.conf.

Reboot into single-user mode with the new system,
re-created the device files with the new MAKEDEV
script.

Up to that point, everything is fine, I just have
a few problems left:

After booting into multi-user mode, dhclient starts
and gets an IP address, but networking doesn't work -
even a ping to localhost gets no answer (the dhcp
address is configured on the external interface, though,
and routing seems to be set up ok).

Some commands segfault, I noticed "w" and "uptime".
Things like "last" and "who" do work, though. No
time for anything more complicated :)

During multi-user boot, the rc scripts hang when
sendmail should start up, but that may be due to
broken networking (and no DNS). Other services get
started fine, even ssh keys were generated.

Alex.