Subject: Re: power problems on z50
To: mayo's <oski2001@hotmail.com>
From: come se fosse antani <antani@gmail.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 07/16/2005 01:45:31
On 7/16/05, mayo's <oski2001@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> My first idea was that the overcurrent protection function in the battery
> was activated (in both), surprising that happens with both but consistent
> with the fact that the machine works with the AA pack.
>=20
I tried to solve this overcurrent protection problem like described in
the manual (leave the machine without backup batteries,Li-ion batt and
AC adapter and then plug everything) but it don't works.

> But this is not consistent with the fact that your machine does not work
> without the battery. I tried mine and it works. So the overprotection may=
 be
> an issue but it is something else wrong with your machine.

yep. right.

> When using the AA pack why not try the diagnostic utility?(Run
> \windows\ibmdiag.exe).

I tried but - I remember well- it say that the "battery section" of
diagnostic utility is only for Li-Ion batteries and not for AA pack.

> Question: you said the led stays always green, that means even without th=
> ac power connected? I do not think so.

No. Is green only when AC is plugged.

> Question 2: have you contacted the seller? Seems a case of DOA that ebay =
and
> paypal should deal with.

yes, I contact the seller. In fact it's not so cheap if he refund me
the money. I paid 71$ for the IBM and 37$ was shipping cost. I've to
send it back (consider ever 37$) in order to receive from him 71$. and
then there is also custom costs (about 30$ when z50 arrived in italy).
Then: I _want_ this machine. I want it for "what the hack" and I
_want_ it for my trip in Japan at end of august.
Perhaps the better solution is to have a new device (and I've to send
this back, I suppose); maybe I can ask the seller if he can pay part
of the shipping costs...

> Finally try leaving the machine alone for 24 hs without battery and back-=
up
> batteries.

yep. I try this night. Next week a technician of IBM Italy will
contact me to give an help (he made me congratulations for the
choice...:) and after that I decide.

> Good luck

Many thanks for the help.