Subject: MobilePro 780 troubles
To: None <port-hpcmips@NetBSD.org>
From: Taras Glek <taras.judge@shaw.ca>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 06/22/2005 18:10:57
Hello,
I just aquired a mb 780 in hopes of running netbsd on it.  However I've
run into a few snags so far.

a) NetBSD 2.0+ won't boot or finish install. When I use hpcboot to boot
a 2x kernel and have my ne2k pcmcia card in the kernel goes into a
debugger almost right away.
If I pull out the card, installation gets all the way to making the
partitions but then freezes while making an ffs2 partition.

b) NetBSD 1.6.2 installs like a charm. It boots with my ne2k pcmcia card
and does an ftp install like a charm. However, once I chose to reboot,
the unit turns off and stops responding. Then I have to reset it and
boot the netbsd-GENERIC kernel via hcpboot. Afterwards rebooting still
doesn't work.

Here is how I did the install. I have a 512MB Verbatim CF card. I made a
20mb fat16 partition on it for stuff from installation/
directory(hpcboot, netbsd.gz, etc). I ran hpcboot with netbsd.gz kernel
and "MobilePro 780" device profile. Then I used the rest of the CF card
for a NetBSD slice.

Are the any known problems with NetBSD 2.0 and up on the MB 780? I
assume my hardware is ok since NetBSD 1.6.2 appears to run
fine(ethernet, wifi works).  I would appreciate any help in getting
NetBSD 2.0 running on my device.

Thanks,
Taras