Subject: Re: 2.0.2 install on WorkPad Z50
To: Steven Sartorius <ssartor@bellatlantic.net>
From: ROC <roryoc@nc.rr.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/24/2005 19:53:15
Steven Sartorius wrote:

> I just installed 2.0.2 on a Workpad with a 340MB Microdrive and I've
> got a few questions that I couldn't find answered in the archives:
>
> 1.    Is the 2.0.2 release significantly larger than 1.6?  I'd read
> that it was possible to get a full installation (including X) of
> NetBSD in 256MB.  I found I was able to install everything but X
> before I ran out of space -- is there a stripped down version out
> there I missed?
>
> 2.    Is it possible to have multiple consoles (with color!) on the
> Workpad?  If so, how?
>
> 3.    Is it possible to cross-compile packages for hpcmips?  I know
> using build.sh it's (relatively) easy to cross compile the kernel and
> userland but what about packages?
>
> thanks for any help...
>
> Steve

I found that documentation out of date even for 1.6 - it definitely
needs more than 256MB  to include X.  I believe after the intial full
install I had well over 300 MB on my 512MB CF card used, so that does
not leave much for /tmp or swap plus additional packages.

I asked about the multiple consoles (tty sessions accessed with alt-1,
att-2, etc. - or some such key combo), and was told a package needs to
be installed for that IIRC -  you might search for posts by me, and
actively trying this out on a MobilePro 780 - gave up for various
reasons after I got a base installation working with X and wifi, but
continuing to monitor in case the X support improves, and a decent
browser becomes available , which Minimo just might be...)

HTH
--

Rory O'Connor