Subject: Re: Do people use MP780s with BSD? was Re: Success with MP790 but need help to restart
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/24/2005 14:31:01
--pgp-sign-Multipart_Thu_Feb_24_14:31:01_2005-1

    kf> xterm works great and emacs works well

yeah, the xterm is far far faster than the wscons because of the
jump-scrolling.  I used emacs Gnus to read mail, and found the CPU was
too slow.  also emacs memory fragmentation is annoying.  And with the
microdrive it would do fantom keyrepeats when the drive spins up.  I
liked it at the time I had it, but now I am just so angry at it and
all the inconvenience it cost me.  I literally carry a paper notebook
instead and am happy for it.  The PDA thing has been a tremendous,
agonizing, long-term consistant disappointment for me.

    kf> pull down pop-3 mail

Sometimes I used mutt to download the mail into a local INBOX, then
used Gnus to read it.  I used to use fetchmail, but I got tired of the
bloat with each new fetchmail version, some new config option or pet
scheme those guys had come up with, just totally gratuitous.  later I
had CDPD from AT&T with a static IP, so I just used SMTP to deliver.

Another strange way might be to use ssh tunnels.  If you control your
mail hub, you can tell it to deliver your mail to an ssh tunnel.  With
postfix, make a transport map something like:

/etc/postfix/transport
kef@kefcentral.com        relay:[localhost:2317]

then, when you want to pick up mail, open an ssh tunnel something like:

$ ssh -R 2137:localhost:25 mailhub

and then use 'postfix flush' or ETRN to get the mail flowing.  I
haven't tested what I just described, but have used stuff _like_ that.

It sounds kinda flakey, but in my experience stuff like this can be
oddly good, and you have the error resilience and rigid
responsibility-transfer of SMTP which can be better in flakey
conditions like bad networks or disk full than mutt or fetchmail or
MUA-of-the-week.

Another guy I know uses freenet6 tunnels instead of ssh.  He just has
not so much a mailhub as a regular backup MX, and when he is moving
apartments his primary MX is still reachable at its normal IPv6
address by bringing up the freenet6 tunnel.

The only rule with using SMTP instead of POP/IMAP for the last hop is,
you need to pick up your mail frequently so it doesn't bounce. :) You
probably don't want to do this, but sometimes I've found it a useful
option for wireless/intermittent connections.

    kf> and send authenticated smtp.

you can compile Postfix from pkgsrc with TLS support.  It's some hard
work to set it up, but should be a very correct implementation.

    kf> mutt/fetchmail/procmail/sendmail before. Apparently had not
    kf> been ported to hpc-mips.

what?  you should have all these in pkgsrc.

    kf> Finally, help me with power management.

in my experience, this stuff is not even close to useful on any NetBSD
laptop except maybe some i386 I haven't tried.