Subject: Re: Microdrives in the CF slot?
To: ROC <roryoc@nc.rr.com>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/21/2005 04:40:56
On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:26:16 -0500, ROC <roryoc@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Matt Dainty wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 14:34, Andy Ruhl wrote:
> >

> >>Note that it
> >>might still work if you use a CF card reader in the PCMCIA slot...
> >>

> >ICBW but I thought that CF and PCMCIA are basically the same technology
> >such that a CF->PCMCIA adapter is merely altering the connector.
> >Certainly the two adapters I have were so cheap I can't believe they
> >have any IDE/ATA logic in them.
> >
> >Matt
> >

> That's how Win98 and Linux and FreeBSD seem to see the CF slot in my
> Thinkpad X20 - as just another PC Card slot (to use the "correct" term ,
> altho I wll concede that the predecessor "PCMCIA"  term is more clearcut
> as to what is being dealt with - "PC card" is what I have always
> generally called the cards that plug into ISA/EISA/VLB/PCI/AGP/etc
> slots  ;-).  Also, Win98 always identifies CF cards and my IBM 340 MB
> Microdrive (which came with a Casio digital camera) as "IDE" drives, and
> yet I can use them interchangably in a Jornada 720/728 (well, not the
> Microdrive since it needs Type 2 CF slot) and NEC Mobilepro 780/790.
> There don't seem to be any distinctions.
>
> That's not to say I have the faintest, foggiest as to how one of those
> Seagate microdrives would be handled.  Maybe you could find out by
> contacting Seagate tech support, or even searching their support website
> for definitive specs.

Lots of replies here.

I'm wondering if what I read was true now, after reading this. When
researching this issue of Seagate drives locked into IDE mode, I did
read a few posts that indicated that these drives worked with a PC
card adapter... I'm wondering if this is the case now... I think it's
not wise to take this as accurate at this point.

Thanks for the info.

Andy