Subject: Re: Microdrives in the CF slot?
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/19/2005 22:56:12
On 2005-02-18 acruhl@gmail.com wrote:

> This firmware apparently locks the drive into IDE mode. Apparently
> this is fine if you are using a USB card reader on a computer, but it
> won't work in some cameras and other devices.
>
> The other mode they use is CF I/O according to what I've been reading,
> and this works like a normal CF card I believe. This should work I'm
> guessing.
>
> Does anyone know if either mode will work in the CF card slot of the
> Mobilepro 880?

  If "IDE mode" == "ATA mode" then it won't work.  PCMCIA and CF flash and
disks can connect directly to an ATA bus with a simple connector (I don't
know where to actually buy such a thing, but it would make sense for many
devices to use that mode).  Many of them can do fun things like DMA and go
much faster in this mode.  I wish the internal CF slot on the Clio was an
ATA port since it is behind the battery anyway, but it is a standard CF
port.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@city-net.com