Subject: Do people use MP780s with BSD? was Re: Success with MP790 but need help to restart
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: kelly felkins <kellyfelkins2003@yahoo.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/12/2005 09:28:13
I had some problems installing BSD on my mp 780, but I eventually
learned enough about the install and succeeded. I first succeeded in
installing 1.6.2 -- and the day after I got it installed and working
they released 2.0. So, I then repeated the procedure and installed 2.0.

Now that I have 2.0 on my 780 I'm looking to complete the package to
make it work for me.

My original goal was to have an instant-on companion machine. Something
I could take with me anywhere, and within seconds be writing notes or
reading email. I don't care how fast it is and I think I only want a
few  basic functions, though I've noticed that the list of 'a few basic
functions' tends to grow. The software that comes with wince 2.0 is the
right collection - word processing, email, address book, browser, etc.
Unfortunately, none of it works well enough. Wince email does not have
smtp authentication, and the browser and word processing are a little
less than minimum, in my opinion.

Is there a decent console? I was not able to get access to function
keys or various key combinations. This makes emacs difficult to use.

Are there any recommended text mode word processing systems? Doesn't
have to be very complex.

I installed X and tried a couple of window managers. The xterm works
great and emacs works well in that environment with full access to all
keys, etc.

I didn't get far beyond x-term. I could not find an installable web
browser.

Does anyone know of a text or x PIM application?

Can anyone recommend email software for Netbsd? I need to pull down
pop-3 mail and send authenticated smtp. I would like to read and
compose email offline and send and receive email when connected to a
network. I've used mutt/fetchmail/procmail/sendmail before. Apparently
had not been ported to hpc-mips. Any recommendations?

Finally, help me with power management. I don't fully understand why,
but it appears the system draws power no matter what, and within
roughly a day will have drained the battery. If you suspend, your clock
looses time and must be updated when you restart.

When the battery dies you must plug it in and reboot, reseting the date
and time and a few other things. These are not huge problems but I
would like to improve it if possible.

--- Snappy! <direct2system@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I know what you mean! Its really frustrating when the hangs are so
> sporadic!! I'm taking a break for a while. I've become really
> proficient
> with resetting my MP790 and loading up sysinst!! Not something I was
> looking
> at becoming! :P
>

> "Adam Dunnakey" <freshadam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

-snip-