Subject: Re: Success with MP790 but need help to restart
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Dainty <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/10/2005 09:57:53
On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 05:11, Andy Ruhl wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 10:58:35 -0700, Snappy! <direct2system@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > I've found that there are a few problems which will cause a panic,
> > > which I should probably open a pr for. But when I soft reset back to
> > > WinCE, then boot NetBSD again, it just does an fsck and I'm fine (this
> > > is for my USB attached drives, I haven't bought a large enough CF card
> > > yet).
> >
> > somehow it either need fsck or something. And it hangs on fsck.
> >
> > Otherwise, if its clean, I cannot  mount the msdos fat partn that is no the
> > same CF card. Any idea?
>
> One of those ways to cause a panic is to try to mount the msdos
> partition on the CF card that has the boot kernel for me. Don't know
> why. I might try to do some extra debugging to see what function it's
> dying in, but I think most of the time I can't even use the debugger,
> and it won't save the crash either which isn't too cool.

I guess it doesn't help to say, that bit works fine on my Workpad ;-)

> It just seems that some people have mysterious problems and others
> don't, which is weird. I don't know how else to characterize it. Some
> people have hangs and crashes on machiens that other people don't, and
> they are using the same machine.
>
> Hey, these are cheapie PDAs, what can we expect?

I wouldn't say they were cheap, well maybe they are *now*, but I guess
they were the bleeding edge tech before the ARM ones came along...

> Have you tried unpacking the binary sets onto your disk from another
> machine, setting it up manually and then trying to boot it? I sort of
> go through this procedure on my Mobilepro 880 install page:

The only thing I can think of is that using the installer and both slots
in any of the various combinations just stresses the machine more, such
that the bug is still there on the machine if you use another box to
unpack the sets, you just might not trigger it as quickly.

Matt