Subject: Re: Success with MP790 but need help to restart
To: Snappy! <direct2system@yahoo.com>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/09/2005 08:59:34
I'm not sure I can fix your problem, but I also don't have a good
understanding of what's happening so maybe you can clarify a little.

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 07:58:21 -0700, Snappy! <direct2system@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I managed to get the base install (kernel-GENERIC.tgz, base.tgz & etc.tgz)
> installed finally. But when I set password for root and try to relogin, my
> password failed!!! *panic*

Are you actually getting a system panic (crash), or are did you panic
:) This is weird, though, this shouldn't happen. What about if you
create a user before you set a root password, and try to log in as
that user? Same problem? This is probably a bug.

> Before that, when I tried to restart to wince so that I can add in new
> packages, I could not. Typing #reboot simply restart netbsd (which is very
> nice!) and #shutdown now also basically does the same thing. I cannot seem
> to restart back to wince, short of doing a soft reset.

Reboot will reboot into NetBSD. On my Mobilepro 880, I need to do a
halt, wait for everything to finish, then use the reset button to get
back into WinCE.

> When I do a soft reset, it seem to corrupt the ffs partition badly and now I
> must reinstall. Is there a safe stage or mode where I can do a soft reset
> without messing up the fss partn?

What does corrupt badly mean? Does it need an fsck when you reboot, or
is it not mountable? What type of disk are you using?

I've found that there are a few problems which will cause a panic,
which I should probably open a pr for. But when I soft reset back to
WinCE, then boot NetBSD again, it just does an fsck and I'm fine (this
is for my USB attached drives, I haven't bought a large enough CF card
yet).

Andy