Subject: Re: Microdrives in the CF slot on Mobilepro 880
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 01/26/2005 09:39:54
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:45:43 -0500 (EST), Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Andy Ruhl wrote:
>
> > Has anyone used a microdrive in the CF card slot? Specifically, the
> > Seagate 5 gig?
>
> I've only used the "old school" IBM 340MB.  That one has a crappy-slow PIO
> speed, and I think it's the drive's fault.  (I believe the MobilePro can do
> better with a drive capable of better PIO rates.)
>
> The power management seems to work pretty well with it.  Turning off
> syslog-to-disk, or putting syslog output in a mfs, helps considerably
> (since you end up with less writing to disk and thus less drive spinups).

Are there any documents out there that go through how to minimize disk usage?

I think I'd rather not turn off my syslog, but I'd be willing to give
up, say, a few hundred k of memory to write it to via a mfs. But I'm
not smart enough to know how to ensure it doesn't fill up the mfs and
cause problems... If that's even a problem.

Anything else that accesses the disk on a regular basis? Does softdeps
have anything to do with this? Again, I'm not super smart about this
subject, but it might be nice to span out any syncs it does or
something like that.

I'd like to document this in my Mobilepro 880 howto, which could
probably quite easily be morphed into a NetBSD on your PDA howto at
some point.

Thanks!

Andy