Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.0 installation woes
To: Jurrie Lulofs <jurrie@sackheads.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 01/19/2005 11:06:07
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:19:21 -0600, Jurrie Lulofs <jurrie@sackheads.org> wrote:
> After trying to install NetBSD 2.0 on a MobilePro 780 in every possible
> way (via ftp, nfs, or local storage - in disk sharing or dedicated disk
> flavors) I've come to the realization that it's just not going to fly.  I
> suspect that the main reason is related to interrupt handling (lots of
> "ISA IRQ 3 -> vrgiu0 port 9, level high through" messages associated with
> pcmcia1 and pcmcia0).  I've also seen a few "panic: TLB out of universe"
> messages when newfs was running, and other "Stopped in pid xx.1" msgs
> associated with sysinst and progress.
>
> Are there 2.0 kernels (sysinst and GENERIC) available that alleviate these
> issues?  If not, I suppose I should try 1.6.1/1.6.2.  Should I expect
> these releases to install OK?

Based on a casual look at the archives, I think that it's possible
that some systems will have problems, and some won't for whatever
reason. Maybe the chips in them are not 100% the same spec every time?
I don't know if that's even possible.

If you can't boot a vanilla generic kernel from 2.0, and have it work
reliably, the next step is to build a generic current kernel probably.
Tried that?

I haven't used 1.6.x on my Mobilepro, so I can't say how it will work.

Good luck.

Andy