Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.0 installation woes
To: None <port-hpcmips@NetBSD.org>
From: kelly felkins <kellyfelkins2003@yahoo.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 01/18/2005 22:49:53
Jurrie,

I installed 2.0 on a mobilepro 780 with no (read "little") trouble. It
took me a few tries. Basically I had to learn how to do it. Once I
learned, it went smoothly.

I started documenting the process here
(http://kellyfelkins.org/article/63/installing-netbsd-on-mobilepro-780),
but the documentation is not complete.

I installed most of it via FTP over a wireless connection. A few things
I learned:

1) configure your wireless connection early. There is a point where you
have a menu, and this is the time to configure the card.

2) Use only part of the disk for netbsd -- save some for wince. When
the system is operational occasionally you will need to boot from
wince. The boot load has to be on the cf card because the main memory
is wiped on every boot.

3) Install using 2 (two) cf cards. I have a 4GB microdrive and a small
CF card - it might be 256 or 64MB. Coping the distribution from a
windows host via activesync is *really* slow. Copy it once to memory.
Then make a copy on a cf card. Then a second copy on a second cf card.
The next time you need to, ah, reinstall, load the backup cf card, copy
the image to memory, load the target cf card, and copy the image back.
Much faster.

The thing that caused me the most trouble was the wireless WEP keys. I
resorted to disabling WEP on my wireless network during the install.
Now I think I know enough to configure it during install, but then I
didn't.

It works. Good luck.