Subject: preferred installation/runtime configuration?
To: None <port-hpcmips@NetBSD.org>
From: Jurrie Lulofs <jurrie@sackheads.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 01/13/2005 11:57:19
I'm curious what the generally accepted best practice is wrt NetBSD
installation and configuration.

The paper "NetBSD and handheld platforms" (written prior to the hpcmips
port of sysinst) describes a manual installation procedure which yields a
configuration with a single partition (without paging/swap) and with
"noatime,nodevmtime".

Enter NetBSD 2.0 and we have an available sysinst which defaults to a
desktop-like partitioning configuration.

The two approaches are quite different.  Using a reduced number of
partitions makes sense to avoid over-allocating unused space on these
disk-space-challenged machines.  The big difference is in the attempt to
avoid/reduce the number of write operations to the flash memory devices.

Have the NetBSD hpcmips veterans on this list come down on one side of the
fence or the other on this issue?

thanks,

jurrie