Subject: Reliable network cards? CF cards?
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 01/02/2005 07:38:43
Trying to find answers to this stuff, but it's been a little difficult
to round up the information. This might be useful for the FAQ later
on.

I got my Mobilepro 880, but I don't have any hardware for it yet. I do
have a 64 meg CF card which I used to boot a kernel, so I'm happy
about that.

Ideally, this is what I'd like to do:

o Have a 4 or 5 gig CF card
o Have a PCMCIA based network card (wired or wireless)
o Have a USB mouse (if it works? I see an entry for it in GENERIC I think...)
o Plug in headphones and listen to MP3s while working

Before I buy anything, I want to netboot it and see how useful this
thing is going to be.

I have an old 10baseT 3com PCMCIA card that I lent to a friend, I may
try to grab that. But if not, can someone recommend a good, stable
network card (cheap being a nice perk too if possible)? This could be
wired or wireless, but if wireless is a good enough deal, I'll grab
one of those. I see a lot of wireless cards are less than $30 these
days.

Anyone using either the Hitachi 4 gig or Seagate 5 gig CF cards?

Anyone using a USB mouse with X?

Does sound work OK?

I'm new to all of this hpc stuff (but been using NetBSD since 1.4
otherwise), so if I'm on the wrong track here, please straighten me
out :)

Also, I plan to start building some packages on my Cobalt box to sort
of save time. If I get this 880 up and running, I can probably share
packages if anyone wants them.

Thanks,
Andy