Subject: Re: trouble installing NetBSD 2.0 on NEC MobilePro 780
To: Andrew L. Gould <algould@datawok.com>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 12/29/2004 22:53:01
On 2004-12-29 algould@datawok.com wrote:

> I've been having trouble installing NetBSD 2.0 on NEC MobilePro 780.
>
> Attempt #1:
> I was able to get the 2GB Microdrive partitioned in the CF port.  I had
> copied the contents of the installation CD onto a 128 MB memory card
> which was in a PCMCIA adapter/slot.  (This worked when I installed
> 1.6.2 onto a 1GB microdrive in the past.)  I was able to mount the
> memory card; but I got the following message when the installer tried
> to untar kern-GENERIC.tgz:
>
> panic: TLB out of universe: ksp 0xc2991fb8  epc 0x8014aee8  vaddr
> 0xae71f000
> Stopped at 0x801cdeb8:   jr   ra
>                 bdslot:  nop
> db>

  If the booted kernel is same as installation/netbsd.gz then the epc is
in panic, the first sw to the stack.  A trace would be helpful in any
case.  It is possible that this is related to port-hpcmips/26158.

> Attempt #2
> Guessing that the kernel file may be corrupted, I cross compiled a
> kernel on a x86 machine, tar-gzipped it and replaced kern-GENERIC.tgz
> on the memory card mentioned in attempt #1.  I then tried to repeat
> attempt #1; but had the same results.

  Trying to extract a corrupted kernel should not cause a panic.
However, you might want to verify the md5 of the install kernel from the
microdrive.

> Attempt #4
> I cross compiled the build and release on the x86 box, configured
> rc.conf and fstab and copied the build onto the 2GB microdrive.  The
> kernel booted and init started.  Init tried to create 'mfs on dev',
> which was followed by a continuous flurry of messages.  I was only able
> to make out parts of messages:
>
> 'command mknod on dev out of inodes' and
> 'device out of space'

  I don't know why the mfs is not big enough, but it could be solved by
populating /dev in the ffs file system (from a running system, umount
/dev, cd /dev, ./MAKEDEV all).

> After awhile, bootup continued; but the generation of keys for sshd
> failed. I changed root's password, added a normal user in the wheel
> group and rebooted -- which hung.  I'm not confident that the
> installation is a good one.

  I don't know how key generation is done, but I wonder if the disk nodes
didn't get created and the disk is still read only.  What hung, kloader or
the newly booted kernel?  I see kloader hang more often than not on my
Clios.  I haven't looked into it, but it doesn't seem to affect anything
else that I can tell.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@city-net.com