Subject: Trying to install on z50
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Dainty <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 09/25/2004 00:36:55
Hi,

Just recently acquired an IBM z50 and I'm trying to install onto it
using a 256MB CF card, which I have a small ~ 5MB FAT partition with
hpcboot and the installation kernel and using the remaining space for
the NetBSD root partition.

I can reliably get to the point of setting the CF card up and fetching
the packages except about half way through installing base.tgz either
from FTP/NFS using either a ne(4) or wi(4) PCMCIA card, or another CF
card in a PCMCIA adaptor as a source, I always get some sort of crash,
either with the 'TLB out of universe' or 'no context' error, or
sometimes it just locks up solid.

I've tried with both the 1.6.2 release, or my crossbuilt -current
sources as of about 6 days ago, with no real difference. I did have
issues trying to use a SanDisk CF card which would usually lock up at
the newfs stage, but now I've switched to using a Lexar one, I can
always get past that point. I'm using the stock GENERIC kernel config
each time and currently trying to just get a kernel and base & etc
packages installed.

Is there anything z50-specific I need to add to the kernel? I'm guessing
the z50-specific 1.6 kernel on the port homepage is not necessary for
the later releases? From what I've seen in the archives, everyone just
seems to be using their z50's. Am I doing something obviously wrong
here?

Cheers

Matt