Subject: Re: Saving CF card as much as possible
To: Tim Underwood <tim@underwoodfamily.org>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 09/04/2004 20:51:53
On 2004-09-04 tim@underwoodfamily.org wrote:

> Now that I have my system converted over to a CF card, I would like to
> do as much as possible to eliminate unnecessary I/O on this card to make
> it last as long as possible.
>
> When I mount it, I added the "noatime, nodevmtime" options to eliminate
> I/O.
>
> Are there any other tricks or areas I should consider?

  I also remove the following files from /var/log: wtmp, utmp, lastlog,
wtmpx, utmpx, lastlogx.  I don't think think this makes that much
difference, but since they are entirely useless to me I do it anway.  Not
swapping and adding the mount options you added are the big ones.  Look at
the startup and cron scripts and see if you can remove or lower the
frequency of anything that causes writes (I do almost nothing at startup
and don't run cron or syslog).  I think there may be a few other things
that can be done that I don't recall at the moment.  I remember being
surprised several times to find that writes were being done when I didn't
expect them (or many more than I expected), though I can't think of any
such cases right now.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@city-net.com