Subject: links/Dillo Browsers
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Tim Underwood <TimU@hightouchinc.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/19/2004 09:55:34
Ok, tried a couple of things:

Also tried the latest CVS of dillo (0.8.2+), and it does have https
support.  I had to tweak the Makefiles to get it to compile and tested
it.  HTTPS works great - but no javascript yet.

Tried the links browser in text mode.  Don't know about anyone else, but
while I can access the sites I want to (links supports HTTPS and
javascript), the way the site is layed out is virtually unusable.  I'm
sure all the info is there, but trying to find and use it is a daunting
challenge in text mode.  I don't think text mode browsers will work well
for the sites I will be needing to frequent.

So, I tried the links-gui package.  Compiled it on my system (with X
support, not SVGALIB).  Text mode works, but going into X is painful. It
took 4-5 minutes to start up.  Once loaded - works fine and seems fairly
responsive (not too much worse than Dillo).  A bit weird - a mixture of
a text browser with graphics.  So far - more useable than just text
mode.

*Anyone have any inkling why the long startup time?  Quite a bit of I/O
it seems while loading.  I haven't coded in X before, so I'm not sure
where the problem(s) may lie.  Any help out there?*

-------------
FYI:

Sites I can now access with links-gui:
	Earthlink webmail (requires 128bit security and javascript)
	I can now get to the Hotmail sign-in, but won't complete the
sign-in.
      Yahoo mail.

For those interested in compiling it themselves, I changed
/usr/pkgsrc/www/links-gui/Makefile:

Change the line=20
	CONFIGURE_ARGS+=3D --enable-graphics
to:
	CONFIGURE_ARGS+=3D --enable-graphics --without-svgalib --with-x
--with-ssl --enable-javascript

Then compile

If anyone is interested, I can create a package for installation and
post it somewhere