Subject: Re: Z50 browser?
To: Tim Underwood <TimU@hightouchinc.com>
From: Chris Jepeway <jepeway@blasted-heath.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/18/2004 15:51:46
On Aug 18, 2004, at 12:21 PM, Tim Underwood wrote:

> 1) support https (with a patch, CE will support 128bit)
> 2) support the ability to "fool" a website by replying as a different
> browser (can't be done with older versions of CE).  You can't access
> many secure (webmail, etc.) web sites without at least IE 4 or better -
> even though they don't need many of the features provided.  They simply
> are keeping out "low-end" browsers.
> 3) while javascript and java in general would be nice - they aren't a
> specific requirement (probably too slow on that platoform anyway).
Have you checked into w3m?  I love it.
It works w/ https, but it needs the
boehm-gc package.  About a year ago,
that meant compiling w3m by hand,
as the pkgsrc version of boehm-gc
wouldn't work on hpcmips.

w3m is text-based, renders frames and tables handily,
and is...well...refreshing to use.  See www.w3m.org
or w3m.sourceforge.net, or try pkgsrc.

Oh, and it'll let you inject your own headers.
I haven't tried it this way, but something
like

	w3m -header 'User-Agent: Internet Exploder' http://webmail.com

(or whatever IE claims to be) might do the trick
for the browser spoofing you're looking for.

I've got an old w3m & libs compiled for 1.6XXX (can't
remember the version) on a MobilePro 780 that I could
try to resurrect if you find that the pkgsrc version
is still bust.

Chris <jepeway@blasted-heath.com>.