Subject: RE: Z50 browser?
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Tim Underwood <TimU@hightouchinc.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/18/2004 08:49:10
You'll need to get pkgsrc, and then fetch the source for various
browsers, and compile them.

Honestly, I've already tried a few, and they either won't compile on a
MIPS machine, are too big, or not worth the effort.  Some are simply
abandoned projects from years ago that have no real value anymore.

The biggest problem with a browser is having something the size of
Dillo, but that will support https, and the ability to change the
response string (i.e. tell the web site you have IE 4, etc.).  I can get
by on some sites with just that, not needing javascript, java, etc., but
without https and fooling the web site, you simply can't access them.

At least Dillo seems to be active, so there is hope that https will be
added in the near future.

I have downloaded the source to BrowseX, but haven't had time to try and
compile it yet, so I don't know what it will yield.

One basic problem in compiling something you get from some other site
than netbsd is that they assume the "normal" installation of additional
files/binaries/etc. in /usr/local, while netbsd installs in /usr/pkg.
There are other oddities as well in where include files get installed on
netbsd.  So it becomes a bit of an effort to get things changed over so
they will at least compile.

If you can, I'd really recommend trying to run some of these on a Linux
box (or Windows box) first (if the binaries are provided) just to see if
it's worth the effort.  If it isn't worthwhile in those environments,
then don't bother trying to port it.