Subject: Re: Confused by the install process
To: Josh Dennis <dennisjscott@yahoo.com>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/14/2004 20:46:35
On 2004-08-14 dennisjscott@yahoo.com wrote:

> Thanks for the assistance,  So I was able to do the
> commands up to the disklabel /dev/wd0 >& /mnt/dl
> I was able to disklabel /dev/wd0 returned results.
> The error message was: Syntax error: Bad fd number

  Oops; I was looking at the 2.0_BETA packing list, which listed csh.
Apparently 1.6 uses sh.  The equivalent in sh would be to replace the ">&"
with "2>&1 >".  This is to redirect any errors to the file as well.  You
don't need to do this now, since you found that problem (I'm still not
sure preciely what happened, but using a different disk than you thought
could cause the error you reported in several ways, although it seems
like sysinst should have had some warning or error before it got to the
one you saw).

> I selected to boot from storage card 2, and msgbuf
> says that I booted from wd0 which the pro identifies
> it as storage card1.  Going to reboot and try with
> only the smaller disk in to make sure .
>
> Success. So I removed the larger disk until after the
> boot process.  Upon insert It identified itself as
> wd1.  I chose to install to wd1 and it worked.  Now I
> need to install the sets.  I have the sets on wd0 (the
> 128meg) under /binary/sets I also have /binary/Kernel
> on the disk

  If both disks are in at boot, NetBSD with the default settings will
always label them in the same order based on the phsical slots they are
in.  My Clio has an internal slot (behind the battery) which unfortunately
is the second slot.  I added some kernel config lines to make sure NetBSD
always considers the drive in that disk as the first drive so the root
disk wouldn't change, however I don't think this change can be made
without compiling a new kernel which you probably don't want to get into
quite yet.  I don't know how your machine is layed out; hopefully it
doesn't matter once you know how it works.  As you noticed, if you only
have one disk it will be wd0 (NetBSD doesn't renumber disks while they are
inserted like CE will do sometimes).

> Thanks for your help, I just need another nudge.  The
> sets are on the the disk that I am installing from I
> choose to install full from unmounted device, and am
> having trouble. go figure right :)

  :).  What drive are you using as the unmounted device?  Unless you have
a NetBSD partition with a NetBSD disklabel giving the dos partition a
different name, the dos partition will be /dev/wd0e not /dev/wd0a.  wd0
refers to the disk driver instance, but is not actually a partition.  (The
"d"  partition refers to the whole disk and the "c" partition refers to
the first netbsd fdisk partition of the disk.  "a" is usually used for
NetBSD root and "b" for swap.).  You can also do "mount_msdos /dev/wd0e
/mnt2" and then use "/mnt2" as a mounted directory to install from (at
least if I remember correctly this is an option).

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@city-net.com