Subject: RE: root
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Tim Underwood <TimU@hightouchinc.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/12/2004 08:22:58
=20

Correct.  Traditionally, /usr stored the print spooler files, mail
files, user directories, etc.  So it was customary to make /usr a
separate partition/mount point.  That's why the bare minimum binaries
are in /bin and /sbin.  You didn't want to rely on having binaries in
/usr/bin or /usr/sbin during boot, since that partition wouldn't be
mounted until later in the boot process.  Or if there was some problem
mounting it.

>=20
> And is it possible for me to change/resize and remove=20
> partitions or would I have to reinstall from scratch?

As mentioned previously, if you have a CF card or some external drive
(NFS?) you can backup to, then re-partition the drive.  Otherwise,
re-install.

If you haven't done much, it's probably quicker and easier to
re-install.