Subject: Re: Cross-compiling - what do I need?
To: Tim Underwood <tim@underwoodfamily.org>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/10/2004 22:28:16
On 2004-08-09 tim@underwoodfamily.org wrote:

> Compiling on the MobilePro is too painful (for me).  I'll have to dredge
> up an older system or laptop to install netbsd on.  I found the
> following two ISO images:
>
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/iso/1.6.2/i386cd.iso
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/iso/1.6.2/i386pkg.iso
>
> I assume the first is a bootable install image? and the second is a set
> of packages?

  There should be a README in that directory.

> Once I've done that, what do I need to get to cross-compile for hpcmips
> (mipsel)?  I keep seeing references to a "toolset", but haven't found
> what it is supposed to be, or links to D/L such a toolset.

  The new build environment may have been added after 1.6 and has
certainly been improved, so it would be easiest to use the 2.0 branch
sources if you are otherwise willing to do so (the i386 machine should be
able to build it from 1.6).  The new build system has a simple command to
build the tools.  I don't bother with ssh for cvs, which some of the
examples on the web site include.  I think it should be possible (and
would be much faster) to ftp the latest sources from the releng site and
still be able to cvs update the sources (most likely needing the branch
tag the first time you do so or you might get -current), although I am not
certain of that.  Once you get the source, the BUILDING document has lots
of info on how build.sh works and man cvs has info on CVS.  My basic build
command looks like:
./build.sh -O /usr/mobj -D /usr/mdest -T /usr/mtools -m hpcmips
and I then add tools, build, or kernel=FOO to that.  That should do it.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@city-net.com