Subject: Re: Transferring system
To: Tim Underwood <tim@underwoodfamily.org>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/08/2004 00:25:19
On 2004-08-07 tim@underwoodfamily.org wrote:

> I am currently testing/playing with 1.6.2 on my MobilePro 880.  NetBSD
> is installed on a PCMCIA hard drive (since all of my CF cards are 128MB
> or less).
>
> In a few months, I expect the price to come down on a 512 or 1GB card
> dramatically, and I'm wondering what it takes to transfer a working
> image from the PCMCIA hard drive to the CF card.
>
> Anyone done this sort of thing before?

  I have not done this directly, but I think it should work: fdisk,
disklabel, and newfs, mount and cd to the new card then use this command:
tar cplf - / | tar xpf -

  This assumes you have one file system.  You would need do the same for
any others as well.  I used tar to save an old system, but I generally
update the system rather than restoring the old (helps get rid of old
junk :) ).  It should correctly transfer devices and not expand holes in
files.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@city-net.com