Subject: Re: device setup - dhcp?
To: None <port-hpcmips@NetBSD.org>
From: S Dobson <sd20@york.ac.uk>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/07/2004 11:27:08
one other question (hopefully!)

the card is detected fine now (after booting with GENERIC), however, my
network provider only offers dhcp connections. I have edited rc.conf and
added:

dhclient=YES
dhclient_flags="xi0"

i have also created a dhclient.conf file that looks something like this:

timeout 60;
retry 60;
reboot 10;
select-timeout 5;
initial-interval 2;
interface "xi0"

the problem is that on boot, the card is detected, it shows the ethernet
address, dhcp starts but goes to fallback (which I have not set since I
have to use dhcp) and then it attempts about 6 times to make dhcp contact
before giving up and continuing with the boot. Before using dhclient, I
tried to specify a static connection, but got an xi0 timeout straight away.
After looking through the archives I tried to set the media as was
suggested a while back but setting it to 100baseTX just killed the card,
setting it to 10baseT brings it back again but it still timesout.

if anyone can help I will be MOST grateful - please bear in mind that I am
a unix newbie and am googling my way through this so its quite possible
that I may have missed something obvious!

thanks
steve