Subject: Re: device setup
To: S Dobson <sd20@york.ac.uk>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/05/2004 15:19:05
On 2004-08-05 sd20@york.ac.uk wrote:

> I have recently setup netbsd on an old z50 as a means for me to learn more
> about unix. I've set most things up on it but am having problems with a
> xircom creditcard ce3b-100 ethernet 10/100 pcmcia network card. Netbsd
> detects it but doesn't give it a device name (such as xi0 or eth0). If I
> look in the /dev directory there are no network devices listed (such as
> wi0, eth0, etc). Should there be? Should I be doing anything more to
> configure the card? Do I need to create a file in /etc such as ifconfig.xi0
> ? Is it perhaps a problem with the specific card's compatibility with
> netbsd? any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

  I have a ce3b-100 that I was never able to make work with NetBSD (on
i386 or hpcmips).  I didn't really look into it to closely and the dongle
has sine broken, so I can't test it now.  However, plugging it into my
i386 machine running 2.0_BETA shows xi0 and two ukphys.  I don't recall if
it did this previously.  What netbsd version are you using?  It doesn't
look like there are too many changes between 1.6 and 2.0, but it might be
worth trying a 2.0 kernel (you can get one from releng.netbsd.org and
can test it with 1.6 userland).

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@city-net.com