Subject: Re: device setup
To: None <port-hpcmips@NetBSD.org>
From: elliot schlegelmilch <elliot@esus.cs.montana.edu>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/05/2004 12:30:06
Hi. When you see it detected, you should see the name at the beginning
of the line. It should be similar to this:

em0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection, Version - 1.7.19> port 0xbc00-0xbc1f

In my case em0 is the device. If you see Xircom come up somewhere at
startup, but don't see a device in ifconfig, then there probably was
an error initializing the card. Unfortunately, I don't know what to
tell you if this is the case. It could be that compatibility
issue. I've had a few cards just not play nice with NetBSD.

BSDs don't put ethernet devices in /dev. After it is booted, you can
take a look at `ifconfig -a`. If there is a device that resembles your
NIC, then you can add the correct file in /etc so it will be set up at
boot time. /etc/ifconfig.xi0, (provided that the card comes up as
xi0), /etc/mygate and /etc/resolv.conf are good ones not to forget
either. Good luck.

Regards,
elliot