Subject: Re: Kernel compilation question
To: Tim Underwood <TimU@hightouchinc.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/03/2004 17:09:09
"Tim Underwood" wrote:

> I'm trying to compile the "current" kernel/distribution, and have a
> question - I got my configuration file worked out, launched the compile
> and everything seemed ok.
>
> Hours later, it appeared to be linking the kernel, sat there for QUITE a
> while, and errored out of make with an ERROR 1.  No other message, and I
> can't find an error output file to find out what the issue may be.
>
> Any help here?  Or, if someone has already compiled a current or 2.0
> kernel for an NEC MBPro880, enabling USB, etc., I'd sure appreciate a
> link to some binaries.  Save me a LOT of time, and wear and tear on my
> little PCMCIA hard drive.

I suspect that you are probably running in to the process data size
limit.  If you use csh try

	limit data unlimited

or for sh/ksh try something like (at a guess - I don't use these)

	ulimit -d `ulimit -dH`

and hopefully you should then be able to link your kernel.

Also, how much RAM do you have?  It sounds like you could be paging a
lot during the link stage, and once you start paging your build time
will skyrocket.  It would be a lot easier to cross-compile your kernel
on another box that has more RAM and a faster disk.  For example, it
takes about 5 minutes to build hpcmips GENERIC on an Athlon XP2000+ with
512MB of RAM.

Simon.
[ ps- please post in just plain text! ]
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/