Subject: Re: Kernel compilation question
To: None <port-hpcmips@NetBSD.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@rvs.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/03/2004 09:02:59
On 02.08.04, 08:37:21, Tim Underwood wrote:
> I'm trying to compile the "current" kernel/distribution, and have a
> question - I got my configuration file worked out, launched the compile
> and everything seemed ok.
>
> Hours later, it appeared to be linking the kernel, sat there for QUITE a
> while, and errored out of make with an ERROR 1.  No other message, and I
> can't find an error output file to find out what the issue may be.

Usually the actual error including the relevant message is many
pages of screen output before make finally stops. Redirect the
output to a file and check that.

> Any help here?  Or, if someone has already compiled a current or 2.0
> kernel for an NEC MBPro880, enabling USB, etc., I'd sure appreciate a
> link to some binaries.  Save me a LOT of time, and wear and tear on my
> little PCMCIA hard drive.

You are aware that you can cross-build kernels, and the entire
system on any other machine, even some non-NetBSD architectures?
I've heard that Linux may work, too, but never tried it myself.

I build all my stuff for sparc, hpcmips, amiga, hp300 on my AthlonXP.
Works very well.

Take a look at BUILDING and the output of "./build.sh -h" in the
top level source directory.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: Flexible and free!