Subject: Lost X windows widgets
To: None <port-hpcmips@NetBSD.org>
From: ROC <roryoc@nc.rr.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 07/12/2004 20:06:32
I recently installed the full set of  installation packages for 1.6.2 on
a NEC MobilePro 780 with 512 MB CF card (the docs indicating that 256 is
enough are way outdated),  and it seemed like all was well.  I tried the
twm for X windows, and found it a bit too minimal and unusable (are
there any docs specific to using X on these touch screens intead of
using a mouse? It is quite baffling.)

So I tried Matchbox - screen shots looked encouraging, but I should have
noticed they were from keyboardless quarter-VGA PDA's, probably Ipaq's
running Linux.  It was no more intuitive to use than twm, and of course
no docs for something like NetBSD on a MP 7x0.

Next I tried installing icewm since I am familiar  with it on Solaris
and Linux, and hoped I could transfer my knowledge/config from those,
but when I started X with it,   the windows came up with absolutely NO
decorations/widgets/bars/buttons,  etc. - just plain borderless xterms,
and the xclock (also without any widgets).  There is no way to change or
move any of the windows since there are no frames to "grab", no buttons
to bring up menus, no scrollbars, no title bars,  no taskbar - nothing.

I figured this was some peculiar NetBSD/MIPS porting result, and went
looking for other window managers (wm's), and came across someone's
suggestion for ratpoison (wotta name ;-), and installed it, and Boom! -
same total lack of widgets as icewm.  Now I'm suspicious, and revert to
twm, and even it's minimal widgets are no longer present.   Did Matchbox
do this? Or icewm?  Any ideas?  Do I need to re-install any of the
installation X packages?

TIA,

Rory O'Connor