Subject: Re[3]: NetBSD 1.6.2 on JVC InterLink MP-C303, german version: MP-C33
To: Alexander Korsch <mail@a-korsch.de>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 06/07/2004 15:09:37
On 2004-06-07 mail@a-korsch.de wrote:

> Monday, June 7, 2004, 6:37:01 AM, you wrote:
>
> MO>   It will try to write the file to "\\Storage Card\\", "\\Storage
> MO> Card1\\", and "\\Storage Card3\\".  I guess your storage card directory is
> MO> named differently.  It will try to read files in "/", "2:/", "\\", and
> MO> "\\My Documents\\" and will write the file if it finds it.  I guess the
> MO> easiest thing to do would be to rename your storage card directory
> MO> "Storage Card" before booting.
>
> I tried it, it?s not possible to rename the german "Speicherkarte" to
> "Storage Card", WinCE doesn?t allow it, an error occured :(
> Than I created a symbolical link to "Speicherkarte" which I named to
> "Storage Card", and now pbsdboot still tells me that it cannot write
> "pbsdboot.ini" BUT ALSO (in a new popup):
>
> PocketBSD boot
> open failed
>
> when I trie to boot the kernel from the msdos-partition, not only over
> the "new" symbolical link "\Storage Card\netbsd", also over the "old"
> path "\Speicherkarte\netbsd". From the
> ffs-partition there are no changes, same behavior as before.

  Hopefully someone can add the German name to the list of directories to
try (please send-pr it, and include the name of a second card if
possible).

> MO>   I bet you used the "Victor InterLink MP-C101" entry, which is for a
> MO> TX3922 CPU not Vr4122 and it hangs trying to access an invalid physical
> MO> address.  Click on the "..." next to the machine type.  Use the following
> MO> machine ids: 4104500 2010102 For the video, I don't know.  Maybe try
> MO> serial console first.  The following might work: frame: a000000, 1024x600,
> MO> D16_0000, bytes/line:  2048
>
> I tried a lot of models and yes, also the InterLink 101.
> Now I tried your values but with the same result, it hangs up at the
> same point ... is it for pbsdboot possible to boot without "physical"
>  write access to "Storage Card"?

  This is a different issue; that is physical memory locations, not card
access.  I see the hpcmips-ja discussion you mentioned which seems to
refer to the same problem, so hopefully someone will say what was
determined at that time.  I don't know much about hpcboot, but it looks
like most of the discussion is about hpcboot so it might be that hpcboot
is supposed to be used on this machine.  I am assuming that the pbsdboot
problem has something to do with the VirtualCopy or accessing a physical
memory page that somehow causes a problem.  The only other thing that
seems odd to me is that the code seems to assume that the memory just
allocated will be the first phsical memory on the machine (although it
checks to see that the memory alloacted previously matches the phsically
mapped memory and this works on other machines).  I could easily be
missing something too.

  I just located:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-hpcmips/2000/12/29/0001.html

  This could be a problem with the Vr4122 CPU.  That would make sense if
it maps memory differently.  Unfortunately, the 4122 user's manual seems
to not be available on Nec's web site, even though all the others are.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@city-net.com