Subject: More setup questions
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Rafe <rafe00@ameritech.net>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 06/02/2004 13:53:24
I have been  setting up an IBM Z50 with a wireless
connection to a NFS server.  The Z50 is setup to mount

/usr/pkgsrc, /usr/X11R6, and /usr/src from a NFS
server.
Sometimes there is also a NFS swap file.

The problem is that every now and then I get the
console message: wi0 detached.  Both lights on the
network card go off and sometimes the whole system
hangs.  If I type a ctrl-t, it will show some process
stuff, but I still have to do a hard reset.  This
happen three times while trying to build pkg stuff,
and forced a hard reboot.  It happened once during
boot and all I had to do was use wiconfig to reattach
the card.

The system has been running fine now for over 12 hours
with heavy nfs use, but I still don't trust the setup.

 I am still very new to NetBSD.   Thanks to who ever
mentioned the hint about using swap from a NFS server.
 It  might have taken me awhile to think of that.  It
ran over night, but I was able to rebuild the kernel
on a 16mb z50.   I've since upgraded the RAM to 48MB,
but I am sure I will still use the swap trick in the
future.

I am also setting up a Nec 880.  The main problem
right now is getting the screen to go dark when the
power key is pushed.  I had the same proble with the
Z50, but found a solution via google.  No such luck,
yet, with the 880.

Thanks
Rafe