Subject: Magicstor Microdrives and/or temporary swap files
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Rafe <rafe00@ameritech.net>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 05/25/2004 19:06:19
Nec MobilePro 780
NetBSD 1.6.1

Still new to NetBSD and running UNIX OS from such a
small platform.  Since I am so new, sometimes my
questions are completly off track.  If someone could
point me in the right direction, I am glad to figure
the rest out as I go.

Has anyone had any luck with the Magicstor 2.2+ GB
microdrives?  I have had some success with a SanDisk
512MB CF card, but found I kept getting out of swap
space errors when trying to compile large programs.

I think the Magicstor 2.2+GB CF microdrive has some
kind of power saving mode that is causing errors on
the Nec.  I got a strange error about block and
fragment size while trying to setup the filesystem,
but everything seemed fine after changing these values
to what the error message said - block size from 16384
to 32768 and fragment size from 2048 to 4096.  The
installation program will start ftping files from the
server and crash on the second file and drop into
debug mode.  The errors were different both times.
The last one was something about ftp trying to make a
system call while in kernel mode.

Is it true that I don't want to make a swap file when
using soild state cf storage cards?

Some how I did get the kernel to compile one time with
just the 32mb of main ram and no swap file, but I have
not been able to do this since.  Do people ever make
tempory swap files - compile the large program or what
ever and then remove the swap file again?

Rafe