Subject: Re: wi network driver
To: Rafe <rafe00@ameritech.net>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 05/20/2004 22:59:37
On 2004-05-18 rafe00@ameritech.net wrote:

> I have a basic setup with comp installed.  I can get a
> Linksys 10baseT card working, but can't get my
> wireless D-Link DWL-650+ working.
>
> Do I need to rebuild the kernel with the wi driver?  I
> noticed (via google searches) that some IBM z50 users
> got this card to work, but could not tell how they did
> it.
>
> When I insert the card dmesg does not show it all, and
> ifconfig does not seem to know about the wi driver.

  You might need to raise the iosiz paramter to pcic in the kernel
configuration file.  It should be possible to cross compile from most any
UNIXy system. At one point I could use a wi card in my Clio only if the
card was in when I booted.  I don't know if this is still the case.  This
might be related to the iosiz issue, as I don't think I had raised iosiz
on that kernel.

> Oh one more question - What large files are good
> canidates for deletion?  I may need to find some room
> on my card soon.

  I shrunk the system fairly substantially once or twice.  I don't
remember too much about exactly what I did, but I remember it being a
tedious job of going through each directory, figuring out what stuff did,
and removing everything I didn't need.  I think there are relatively few
large files that can be easily removed.  The fortran compiler
(/usr/libexec/f771) is fairly large (I don't know why this is installed --
I don't think NetBSD has any fortran sources).  /usr/share has some stuff
that can easily be deleted (unused locale and time zone info, etc.).  du
can be very helpful to determine where the space is being used.  If you
don't mind doing without it, /rescue is fairly large.

  Also I recommend removing /var/log/utmpx, wtmpx, utmp, and wtmp,
lastlog, and lastlogx to avoid unnecessary disk writes (unless you want
them).  They most likely don't take up too much space, though.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@city-net.com