Subject: HostAP Driver(was Dhclient)
To: HpcMIPS <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Mikel Waxler <waxor@waxor.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 05/17/2004 17:04:52
Sorry, this is a bit off topic, but useful info and someone asked...

Some nice people wrote a module for the linux kernel that allows you to
use  prism2, 2.5, 3 and some other cards in "hostap" mode. Basically the
card will act as a base station. Part of the driver is a "plx" version
that supports pci->pcmcia bridges based on plx chipset, such as my Linksys
WDT11.

All you do is compile the driver and run a dhcp server on the interface
and bang, instant base station. As a side note, this replaces any driver
that is running for the card, so you would not need/want wlan-ng.

More info here: http://hostap.epitest.fi/

-Mikel

On Mon, 17 May 2004, Thomas Miller wrote:

> Mikel Waxler <waxor@waxor.com> wrote:
>
> > Mostly I need new ips for testing my home wireless base station, which
> > I made out of a space PCI->PCMCIA card and the hostap linux driver.
>
> OT, but could you just say a little more
> about what you are doing, please, or else
> point me at a web page describing a similar
> project?
>
> Thanks, Mikel!
>
> Kindest regards,
>
> Tom