Subject: NIC swap & software suggestions
To: None <port-hpcmips@NetBSD.org>
From: Rick Soth <sothtrust@comcast.net>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 05/16/2004 10:42:31
Hello all:

I have been getting started with BSD 1.6.1 on my NEC780 via a 1 gig CF
card, and have two questions for the group at this time:

1)  	Network problems when removing and replacing NIC:

	I can access the net via my NIC after a reboot (actually these commands
	are in /etc/rc and /etc/ifconfig.xi0).

	ifconfig xi0 media 100baseTX netmask 255.255.255.0 up
	dhclient

	At this point the network is recognized and I can ftp or ping outside my
	network via the cable connection. All is well.

	The problem or question is, when I want to move to my office location or
	pull out the NIC card and use a PCMCIA CF card in that slot, and then
	return to the NIC card, I can't access the network again. I can reset the
	ifconfig commands, but can't re-establish an IP via dhclinet.  The
	only solution has been a re-boot.  Am I doing something wrong or is this
	how it is supposed to work?

2) 	Suggestions on Window Managers for X given our half-VGA format? What
	do you like and why?  There are so many choices, and many don't have
	compiled binaries ready for pkg_add via their tzg files.  I have not yet
tried
	to "make" something, but if that is the approach to using your suggested
	window manager just let me know.

	Along this same line, do you have an X office manager or wordprocessor
	and spreadsheet that you like and work well on the small screen?

Thanks for your input.

Rick