Subject: Re: OT: Unix PDAs
To: Florian Cramer <cantsin@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
From: Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/29/2004 21:31:07
Florian Cramer wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 29. April 2004 um 20:49:47 Uhr (+0100) schrieb Dick Davies:
>

>>I've got a Zaurus now. They suck too, of course

> Big time when the PIM apps take forever to parse their XML data files
> and even overwrite them with blank data once you accidentally started
> two instances of the same app.

I use the OpenZaurus stuff.
It's still pretty shit, but has a half-decent Ogg player,
so I  can at least spit on iPod users. While wardriving.

The novelty of surfing using Konqueror on a 4-inch screen
wears off pretty quickly, but the games and ebook readers are good.
I has purty themes too :)

> Sigh, if somebody would only make a classical keyboard organizer - like
> the older Zauruses or Casio PIMs - with some commandline Unix-workalike on top
> (Minix on a 68000/Dragonball CPU sounds reasonable).

To be fair to the mp800, it was useful as an xterm, and the keyboard was
great - I think it was a bit of a halfway house. Full of electricity.

If the OP hasn't run off to buy a Palm yet, they might want to
try the ibm z50 stinkpads - although they have all the aesthetic
appeal of a wet loaf of bread, they do have stupidly long battery
lives (possibly due to their internal fission reactors)...

I think they have half decent suspend/resume too ?