Subject: GPE or Opie
To: None <port-hpcmips@NetBSD.org>
From: None <starwars-97@charter.net>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/12/2004 03:27:15
After some more research (on recomendation of the matchbox window manager) I stummbled upon two very intresting projects. Opie and GPE respectively. They are desktop envornments / application suites similar to "KDE" and "Gnome", only they are tailor made for pdas. They seem to be mostly developed for the widely popular Ipaq series of handhelds. GPE uses gtk2 and Opie uses QTembeded, so it seems like the handheld equivalent to kde/gnome respectively. They both use the matchbox window manager and require very little processing power (ie: the Mobilepro series should run them with ease).

My question is, has there been any effort to get these envornments up and running in netbsd? It sure would be great to have same features as those ipaq users. I don't have a whole lot of experience with this stuff, so I have no clue what problems might come up. GPE and Opie are after-all running on linux currently. While there isn't a WHOLE lot of difference fundamentally between BSD and Linux, I am sure there is enough to cause some roadblocks.