Subject: Re: pkgsrc bootstrap
To: barnett@MIT.EDU, port-hpcmips <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew L. Gould <algould@datawok.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/02/2004 02:49:21
On Sunday 01 February 2004 11:01 pm, John D. Barnett wrote:
> Hi again-
>
> Sorry to post so many times, but I'm having problems getting netbsd up
> and running on my mobilepro 780 (still can't install 1.6, btw; running
> 1.5 instead).
>
> Since binary packages aren't available for the programs I want, I
> thought I'd try compiling them; a cross-compilation environment would be
> preferable for time and space considerations, but I went ahead and
> deleted man pages and some other stuff to make room for the comp and
> xcomp binary sets. So far so good...
>
> Next, I downloaded pkgsrc-bootstrap.tar.gz, and ran bootstrap.
> Unfortunately, it doesn't build; during configure, it reports
>
> Using: MACHINE=hpcmips, MACHINE_ARCH=hpcmips
>
> Then, later in the build, I get an error:
>
> In file included from /usr/include/sys/param.h:142,
>                   from main.c:92:
> /usr/include/machine/param.h:56: warning: `MACHINE_ARCH' redefined
> *Initialization*:1: warning: this is the location of the previous
> definition *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> bmake.boot: stopped in /root/bootstrap-pkgsrc/bmake

> Sure enough, param.h defines MACHINE_ARCH=mipsel, MACHINE=hpcmips.
>
> So, what should I do?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> John

The advice I'd been given was that cross-compiling doesn't work too well for
applications.  What I've been doing is mounting swap and pkgsrc directories
from my FreeBSD server using NFS.  Michael Lucas has an article about this
at:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/09/25/Big_Scary_Daemons.html

It's slow; but very workable.

I was learning how to cross-compile the kernel and system on a test box.
Unfortunately, my sister's family (in a different state) was having computer
problems; so I had to load WinXP and trade computers before I could finish.
I'll be loading NetBSD on her old computer this week and starting over.

Question for the list:  The ftp's selection of binary packages for hpcmips is
limited (none for 1.6.1?). If I start from scratch and 'make package' for
every application that I install, can I submit the packages to be available
for others?

Thanks,

Andrew