Subject: Re: X connection to: 0.0 broken
To: John Ford <john_g_ford@hotmail.com>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 11/20/2003 15:47:53
On 2003-11-20 john_g_ford@hotmail.com wrote:

> >When I try to [startx] even as root I get:
> >
> >    /dev/ttyE0: 648x480 (1280bytes/line) 16bit offset=0
> >    use RAW XT keyboard, /dev/ttyE0
> >    X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

> >Another thing of note is before I decided to start over I tried to get Xdm
> >running (I discovered later that it a known issue that it doesnt work).  I
> >cant remember if I tried to fire X up after trying Xdm but before starting
> >with a clean reinstall.  Is it possible that this clobbered something that
> >survives reboots and reinstalls?

> I went back and added comp.tgz so I could backtrace Xhcp.core.  Heres what I
> got:
>
>     GNU gdb 5.0nb1
>     Copyright 2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>     GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you
> are
>     welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> conditions.
>     Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
>     There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for
> details.
>     This GDB was configured as "mipsel--netbsd"...(no debugging symbols
> found)...
>     Core was generated by `Xhpc'.
>     Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
>     Reading symbols from /usr/libexec/ld.elf_so...done.
>     Loaded symbols for /usr/libexec/ld.elf_so
>     Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libz.so.0...done.
>     Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libz.so.0
>     Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libm.so.0...done.
>     Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libm.so.0
>     Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libc.so.12...done.
>     Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libc.so.12
>     #0  0x41cc18 in hpcSetDisplayMode ()
>     (gdb) bt
>     #0  0x41cc18 in hpcSetDisplayMode ()
>     #1  0x41cc18 in hpcSetDisplayMode ()
>     #2  0x41cc18 in hpcSetDisplayMode ()
>     #3  0x41cc18 in hpcSetDisplayMode ()
>     #4  0x41cc18 in hpcSetDisplayMode ()
>     #5  0x41cc18 in hpcSetDisplayMode ()
>     .
>     .
>     .
>
> John

  hpcSetDisplayMode fails to set the display mode, then calls hpcError
which tries to set the display mode, also failing...

  The error code at least is trying to set the mode on stderr, so I would
guess that the problem is that stderr no longer points to the display.  I
would further speculate that your attempt to get Xdm running included
somehow the modification of a configuration file (potentially in your home
directory) that you restored in the new setup that redirects stderr.  If
you didn't restore anything, I don't have an easy guess.

  This shouldn't crash the machine. It could be that the machine is not
actually hung but is stuck in graphics mode.  Did you try switching
console or typing "reboot"?  I have also seen my Clio hang on heavy
interrupts, which could potentially be related.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@city-net.com