Subject: Getting started with a Uniden PC100 (8 MB)
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: None <ab2@gno.de>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 11/17/2003 10:12:21
It is not really clear for me what is currently working in NetBSD
for the Uniden PC100 8 Mb type of CE device.
	Uniden Models

Sold in   Model         CPU                    Video             RAM Ports Boot PCIC Keymap Xserver

World    PC100  75MHz PR31700 320x240 Mono 4/8      ?       ?       ?        ?    PsPC       ?

Due to this chart it probaly lacks a lot of support.

I wanted to give it a try.

But when I tried to start the pbsdboot.exe I
get the mentioned 'cannot allocate heap'
from the Instalation section ( .. see below).

On the other hand I read:

"Note:
 You need 16 MB or larger RAM on a machine for self installation. "

If Installation is currently only possible for >8MB devices how could I possibly
achieve it to get a system running with this device?

My Machine has ony 7.8xx MB for programs available and
after a fresh reset allready 1.6 MB are used by standard
CE software.

So what are probaly my options?

Could I make it work with a 'standard' port/hpcmips distribution?

Has somebody done it before with this type of device?
What is with the Modem, Infrared, serial port, display?

Is it really so hard to make them work?

I thought CE devices are pretty standard and nearly
quite the same so software should be realtively easily made
working on these type of devices once a 'start' is made
(as it seems with this port)?

Thaks for some answers or reference redirections.

   Andreas

( "Installing the NetBSD System Boot with bootloader and netbsd in installation directory. sysinst will automatically start.

The NetBSD/hpcmips kernel and system install consume about 7 MB of memory. Please configure the Windows CE memory setting to allow this amount of memory to be used. If bootloader failed with a ``cannot allocate heap'' error, configure more RAM for memory and less for disk with the dialog at [Setting]->[ControlPanel]->[System]->[Memory] under Windows CE. " )

Actually I can not understand the a.m.  16MB Note
if the main headline of the hpcmips port says:

"The port name "hpcmips" comes from the name for some of the hardware that NetBSD/hpcmips runs on: MIPS based systems in Microsoft's H/PC (Handheld PC) form factor. A H/PC machine contains a keyboard and a touch screen and generally has 8MB or more of RAM. The port supports the HPC form factor, as well as the H/PC Pro and PsPC (Palmsized PC) form factors. (Many PsPC machines are used by the developers for active development.) "