Subject: Re: Mobilepro 780 questions
To: billy ball <bball@tux.org>
From: Andrew L. Gould <algould@datawok.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 09/14/2003 09:17:56
On Sunday 14 September 2003 03:48 am, billy ball wrote:
> > > 4.  How do others use NetBSD on Mobilepro 7*?
>
> not sure if this was in context of your original question, but i use my
> hpcmips laptop (an IBM Workpad Z50) as a wired or wireless controller for
> the Ten-Ten RX320 DSP-enabled shortwave receiver...
>
> i was able to do a 'native' port of the xclass libs and the rx320
> client... the xclass libs built and installed with no probs... however, i
> did have to edit the rx320 file ORX320.cc and 'comment out' the entry for
> an #include file (line 22):

heehee...One of the things I love about *BSD is sitting back and watching the
conversation go over my head like a fighter jet.  There is so much out there
to learn.  I will never get bored -- I can grow old and die curious.  :-)

> //#include <argp.h>
>
> looks like defs for the GNU getopt lib, but the build works and the
> resulting client runs fine...
>
> a Targus serial I/O CF provides RS232 communications... i can attach a
> cell phone via this card and use the phone as a modem (i have a dial-in
> server on a phone line in the house for when i'm on the road - don't want
> to pay for two ISPs 'cause i'm cheap, and already have DSL)...  this way
> the connection, even though at 115200, appears to have DSL speed when
> using a command line (i use minicom running natively on NetBSD)...

What cell phone do you use?

> native apps aren't always the way to go with these plucky MIPS laptops...
> many times you'll be much more productive using them as wireless X
> terminals, but you'll also be pleasantly surprised how well native clients
> work... (for example, text editing using nano and spellchecking with
> aspell)

Perfect!  This meets my hopes/expectations.

> have a happy!
>
> billy b.

Thanks,

Andrew Gould