Subject: Re: Mobilepro 780 questions
To: Andrew L. Gould <algould@datawok.com>
From: Bryan Vyhmeister <bsd@hub3.net>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 09/14/2003 00:32:06
> I'm considering purchasing a Mobilepro 780 on eBay and having NetBSD on it;
> but have some questions:
>
> 1.  Is the modem functional in NetBSD?

Not that I am aware of.

> 2.  How much memory does the basic installation of the hpcmips port need?  In
> other words, can I expect to have enough room for a reasonable number of
> applications?

I am not sure about a basic installation but my complete installation including
X and all of the install sets plus quite a few packages and some other stuff
takes 340 MB according to df. You could easily slim that figure down by not
installing all of the compiler stuff and other things that you really do not
need.

> 3.  Does hpcmips support virtual terminals, or will I need to install X Window
> to run multiple applications that require user interaction.

Virtual terminals are supported just fine by wscons. I use X as well though.

> 4.  How do others use NetBSD on Mobilepro 7*?

My MobilePro 770 works nicely for taking notes and doing some web development.
It is a nice and compact unit to carry around that has a nice battery life. It
works well for email too.

> 5.  Are there any consultants that I could hire to install NetBSD for me?
>
> I'm envisioning running the following:
>      mutt & msmtp  (Is msmtp available for NetBSD?)
>      w3m
>      lynx + ssl
>      fetchmail
>      ssh
>      vi
>      mc
>      X Window
>      xfce
>      vnc
>      Linksys wireless pcmcia card
>      A pcmcia modem, if needed
>      a memory card (Does anyone know the max capacity for Mobilepro 780?)
>
> Does this seem reasonable?

This seems relatively reasonable. I have not used w3m or vnc on my MobilePro
770. It is all worth a try at least. The 780 is a bit faster than the 770 as
well. I think it is 168 MHz instead of 131 MHz. Watch out for the latest Linksys
PCMCIA wireless cards. I would recommend going with Netgear because they do use
the Prism 2.5 chipset. Linksys keeps changing to different chipsets. The Prism
2.5 chipset is well supported. Other chipsets are not supported at all or are
just now being supported in -current.

I can compile any packages you need. I have a NetBSD/cobalt machine set up to
compile packages. They are binary compatible with NetBSD/hpcmips. Let me know if
you need more help.

Bryan