Subject: Re: wireless card kernel config?
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Siva Arumugam <siva99@yahoo.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 09/10/2003 08:52:37
--- Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de> wrote:
> On 09.09.03, 20:35:53, Jason Simpson wrote:
> > On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Siva Arumugam wrote:
> >
> > > I recently purchased a D-Link DWL-650 Cardbus
> card and
> > > have been trying to get it to work with the z50.
>

> > I don't believe the z50 will do Cardbus, only
> PCMCIA.
>
> The D-Link DWL-650 _is_ PCMCIA, I am using one right
> now in my z50
> to write this message. Maybe it can _also_ do
> Cardbus, but it
> attaches nicely to the z50's PCMCIA bus:
>

> Since 1.6.1 the kernel sometimes fails to initialize
> the card
> properly and says "using old Lucent chip set" or so,
> but mostly it
> works just fine.
>
> So unless D-Link now makes another card, that is
> also called
> "DWL-650" but is a completely different beast, the
> card should work
> ok in the z50.

oh dear.  upon closer perusal of the d-link site, it
appears that d-link have _four_ dwl-650s, namely the
650, 650K1, 650L1/L2, and 650M1 (i have found myself
with the last of these).

the plain dwl-650 appears to be listed as a pcmcia
device on various websites (but not on the d-link
website, which says nothing at all about pcmcia).  the
others are noted as cardbus devices.

basic question: if the 650M1 is also pcmcia, should
the  kernel recognize as anything at all when putting
the card in?

siva.