Subject: Re: [newbie] lcd suspend kernel for z50
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: billy ball <bball@tux.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 06/26/2003 06:24:16
On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Bernd Sieker wrote:

> On 26.06.03, 01:32:12, Tak Pui Lou wrote:
>
> > of faster machines for computation. If the modem and sound work, I could
> > show off when I go to a conference with me colleagues and use it for
>
> The sound does work to some degree, I have used it to play mp3
> files (with madplay it's just about fast enough), but the quality
> is so horrible that it's really nothing to show off ;)

- modem doesn't work, but sound is adequate (at least for some
applications - i sometimes use a 'talking' clock)

> > entertainment. But, the best would be having the kernel burnt into the
> > ROM so I don't have to see WinCE ever again. If you want the kernel, I
>
> I understand a few people have managed ot make a Linux ROM for the z50,
> but I can't remember any URL about it. As far as I know there is no
> freely available information about the z50/WindowsCE bootstrap
> internals, so it's very hard to do it "right". I'm amazed that in
> -current, they finally managed to get the z50 into a consistent state
> somehow after shutting down NetBSD. Previously it was always neccessary
> to remove all batteries for a few seconds.

- i have a Linux distro on a 128MB CF for the Z50... X, sound works, as do
some CF Ethernet cards - but it only supports 16MB RAM and no wireless...
booting is via pbsdboot....

- using WinCE to boot my 1.5.1 is a pain, but one that is
(fortunately) quickly over

:-)