Subject: Re: Cross-compile on i386
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Alexander Bochmann <ab@lists.gxis.de>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 05/23/2003 10:01:33
Hi,

...on Wed, May 21, 2003 at 11:37:50PM -0400, Miles Nordin wrote:

 >     ab> Huh... Nevertheless the kernel's Makefile.hpcmips.inc has
 >     ab> CFLAGS+=-mips2?
 > fine, try it if you don't believe me.  Now that we have build.sh that
 > patch I posted or a corrected one similar to it should work really
 > well.

I didn't mean to say that I built binaries with -mips2,
but that I was wondering about the -current (as of a week
ago or so) hpcmips kernel makefile including the flag
despite the problems you mentioned.

 > build the userland.  If I had to guess I'd say maybe it is because
 > there's no floating point in the kernel, but please don't latch onto
 > that explanation because I really have no idea.

Sounds plausible: I once compiled a kernel mit -mcpu=vr4100,
which worked just fine, although gcc seems to implicitly
set -mhard-float with that option. Don't try it on userland
binaries on the Z50 :)

(By the way, with the 1.6S kernel I built a few days ago,
the hangs on heavy network i/o accompanied by "/netbsd: ne0:
NIC memory corrupt - invalid packet length 56576" messages
went completely away - the system is currently building
a distribution with sources and target dirs on nfs with
no problems whatsoever.)

Alex.