Subject: Re: [newbie] lcd suspend kernel for z50
To: Siva Arumugam <siva99@yahoo.com>
From: Florian Cramer <cantsin@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 05/04/2003 17:05:44
Am Freitag, 11. April 2003 um 17:14:00 Uhr (-0700) schrieb Siva Arumugam:
> I'm a newbie NetBSD user, now happily running NetBSD
> 1.6 on an IBM z50.
>
> Does anyone have available online a z50-fixed kernel
> that can suspend the lcd?  I'm afraid that (for space
> reasons) I have no compiler tools installed.

I would also be interested whether the excellent suspend capabilities
of kernel netbsd-1.5ZC-z50tp-20020407A exist because of some
upstream-incompatible/nonportable hacks, or whether they could be used
for a self-compiled kernel.

However, NetBSD 1.6 just runs fine with the above kernel, and in
combination with the z50 hardware is a sheer delight (as I could find
out typing away a paper on a intercontinental flight + a long Greyhound
bus ride on one extended battery).

I noted that with netbsd-1.5ZC-z50tp-20020407A, the z50 sometimes
resumes from APM suspend into a crashed state, with vertical color
stripes on the screen. According to my unsystematic tests, that doesn't
seem to happen when running "sync" before suspend. Would it be possible
to implement this into the kernel itself?

-F

--
http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~cantsin/homepage/
http://www.complit.fu-berlin.de/institut/lehrpersonal/cramer.html