Subject: Ultra CF problems anyone?
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: James Retterer <james@shgc.stanford.edu>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/03/2003 14:46:59
Greetings all,

I've been running NetBSD 1.6 on a MobilePro 780 for a bit now - quite
happy with a PQI 256 MB CF card.  But... I wanted some more elbow
room, and I recently picked up a SanDisk Ultra 512, and I am getting
unexpected and largely annoying errors...  Sometimes It will install
all the way through, sometimes not.  Once installed, I can use it for
a while, but inevitably I will trip over same error.  Sometimes it
happens when installing software, sometimes when starting X,
sometimes when copying files - I will hit a loop of an error like
this:

wd0a: error writing fsbn 409830 of 409830-409831 (wd0 bn 418902; cn
415 tn 9 sn 15), retrying
wd0: (id not found)

{repeat ad nauseum}

I've tried two different Ultra 512s, and on both the 780 and the 770
I used to run -  the numbers change, depending upon what it's trying
to do, and when - but it's all variations on a theme.  It works
beautifully for a while ( or sometimes not so long ) and then I start
getting the errors.

I haven't had problems like this before with my old card, or off of a
340 MB microdrive - and also had no troubles on the 770 previously (
tho it doesn't support the microdrive ) - I've tried a couple
different geometries too, and all with the same results.

Has anyone else been successful with using an Ultra 512?  How 'bout a
plain old 512?  I am hoping that if it *is* an incompatibility, it's
just with the Ultra variety, not with the size.

Any clues?

Cheers,
James

--