Subject: Re: virtual device
To: Jeff Bolle <jbolle@bucknell.edu>
From: billy ball <bball@tux.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/24/2003 14:12:10
On 24 Mar 2003, Jeff Bolle wrote:

> Because of the small size and portability and long battery life of the
> z50 it has made a great tool for working on network problems, my only
> current issue is the processing power, screen size, and disk space
> issues when try to analyze large logs.

agree, but disk space issues aren't a problem really (unless you're
dealing with log files in the 1GB range)...

> Is there a way that I can use the network card in my z50 remotely?  I
> was envisioning some type of NFS thing where I could mount the network
> card device on the device tree of my main workstation.  I doubt such a
> thing is possible, and I realize I could just have the z50 forward
> everything to my main workstation, but it was a cool idea and I just had
> to ask if it was possible.

use the network card remotely? i don't think so (unless there's a way to
use two NICs on the z50?)

however, as you mostly likely know, you can mount any portion of the z50's
file system over a network, or mount a portion of a remote filesystem on
your z50...

i get around the CPU horsepower limitations of the z50 by using is as a
wireless X terminal... however, i do use one z50 (ackpht! of course i have
more than one) with a native app to control a high-frequency receiver via
a CF I/O card... [ten-tec rx-320 RS232-controlled HF radio using the
xclass libs and the rx320 client]... the z50 makes a nice LCD control
panel for the radio's 'virtual faceplate,' and is not much larger than the
radio (itself a black box)...

btw, if one is curious about using rx320 under NetBSD:

- xclass libs build and install with no probs

- to build rx320, comment out edit the file ORX320.cc and 'comment out'
the entry for an #include file (line 22):

//#include <argp.h>

(the file [not found under the GNU install for the hpcmips NetBSD
port?] provides some defs for the GNU getopt lib, but it is safe to
comment it out, as apparently no rx320 function makes a call to any
defined function)

more info on rx320 here: http://www.tux.org/~bball/rx320/index.html
(and yes, i can also run the radio wirelessly using my z50)...